Turtleduck Press is looking for new members – independent-minded science fiction/fantasy writers who have a polished manuscript and are interested in joining a co-operative publisher.
We are an indie press working on a co-op model. The Turtleduck Press brand assures the reader that the work in question has met the approval of the members, all of whom are staking their own writing careers on the quality of the work that TDP as a group releases.
Members are charged only a share of the website hosting fees ($35 or less per year). All royalties remain with the author.
Benefits of membership include:
- Rigorous editing by a professional editor at no cost.
- Access at no cost to the expertise of the existing members to help you format, design, publish, and market your book.
- Use of the TDP brand, including an author page on our website, our logo on the back of your book, and participation in our blog posting rotation and the rotation of free short stories we put out monthly.
To become a member, you must submit a polished SF/F novel (see below for submission guidelines). If your work is accepted for publication and you agree to the terms of membership, your book will go in the next available slot in our regular schedule. We publish three full-length works a year (April, August, and December) in ebook and print formats. Because of our limited number of slots, we follow a standard query process and a rigorous vetting and editing process, just like any publisher.
We are looking for speculative fiction (science fiction and fantasy) novels, both adult and YA, including steampunk, dark fantasy, etc, which include some aspect of romance. We do not publish horror or erotica. Word count should fall between 50,000 words and 120,000 words. We’ll consider works outside this range, but only if they really wow us.
Our mandate is to publish works of quality that would otherwise fall through the cracks. We are particularly interested in works in less-commercial areas of the speculative fiction umbrella, such as:
- subgenres that are less of a focus in the current market — science fantasy, romantic science fiction, and so on
- literary, slipstream, and magic realism
- works by or about underrepresented voices such as LGBTQ and people of colour
Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions must include a standard query letter and the first five pages of your manuscript, all in the body of the email. Emails with attachments will be deleted unread.
We respond to all queries, but we are not able to provide personalized feedback on every query.